Category Archives: Uncategorized
This weekend I went to Indianapolis and I packed all of my art supplies that I thought I would need. I learned some valuable lessons that will serve me well on some later, longer, airplane trips this year.
The biggest thing I’m discovering is you have to pack for who you are and where you are at. I am NOT a 6’2″ strong young man who can carry lots and walk forever. I’m a 5’4″ 61 year old woman who is in good shape, but I don’t have the legs, heart, lungs, strength of a young man. I always see those people as the spokesperson for what to pack.
I took pastels on this trip. Whenever I see what people pack for workshops, they have a nice wooden box with lots of colors. Pastelists LOVE their colors. I have been very proud of how much I edited down my color selection. This selection would be fine if I had just a little walking to do. But it will not be working for my long trip, where I like to walk around and look at the scenery before I decide. I will not have the luxury of driving to a spot and unloading. I discovered that my very edited down selection was still pretty darned heavy if I was doing much lugging around. So I have edited down quite severely.
I’m going to take a piece of gatorboard for a rigid backing, several sheets of UArt 400 or Wallis paper. I’m taking 11×14 and 9×12 size paper, my box of pastels, a small watercolor set, small vitamin bottle filled with water, a small container of rubbing alcohol, a rag, a pencil, eraser and a pocket camera.
Yippee! One work accepted in to the Symphony in the Flint Hills Juried Exhibition.
The ninth annual Signature Event will be held at the Rosalia Ranch in Butler County on June 14, 2014.
The Kansas City Symphony plays in the beautiful Flint Hills. A Field Guide book is produced. And beautiful Flint Hills themed art is displayed and sold. At the end of the symphony a cattle drive takes place way behind the symphony as a finale. It is breathtaking
I attend a weekly figure drawing class. I highly recommend it if you want to maintain your skills. I notice when I miss a week or two I backslide. And over time, my work grows. Still.
I am a finalist in the Over 60 category, in the March 2014 issue of “The Artist’s Magazine. See my work on p. 4
Three works have been accepted into the MVIS (Missouri Valley Impressionists Group) 3rd Annual Juried Show. The show will be exhibited at the Albrecht Kemper Musuem, St. Joseph, MO and will run from January 17 through April 6, 2014. Awards Ceremony and Reception is January 17 from 4-6. Hope you can come.
I love this little piece. I loved this site. When we drove over the hill I was struck by that patch of green field against the drier grasses in the foreground.
As it often happens, this was just going to be a study — just play, but as I worked, it became the finished piece. It often works best when we have no emotional or financial investment in the work, but we just are exploring. This was going to turn into an oil, but I think if that is what I want to do, I’m going to have to do an oil study. This is a case where pastels just work too differently.
I went to the Flint Hills this weekend with a couple of painting buddies. What a perfect weekend. Fall was prime. Saturday was beautiful color, great weather. By Sunday it was becoming windy. By Monday, most of the leaves have been blown off the trees. Whew! Just in time! We painted, visited a couple of galleries and scouted the perfect locations and ate well. Kansas may not support the arts, but it is amazing to me how many artists support Kansas. Thanks Marcia and Kathleen. I had a great time.
My calendar seems to have filled in. Wow.
• September 6 – 16: View artwork for the Online Fountains Fundraiser @ Mid-America Arts Alliance (2018 Baltimore, Kansas City, MO 64108 (near Lidia’s Restaurant in the Crossroads Arts District. Sponsored by KC Parks and Rec to help save our fountains. 50% of proceeds go to the city. 50% go to the artist. Mine is #18. http://sas-demo-3-com.si-sv2521.com/catalog.aspx
• September 6 – October 25: MVIS American Vistas Membership Juried Show. Buttonwood Art Space, 3013 Main St., Kansas City, MO. Three works exhibited.
• September 13 – 15: Brush Creek Art Walk Plein Air Event. Work will be on exhibit at the Bruce Watkins Cultural Center on October 3rd, 2013.
• September 21: Kansas City Coterie Plein Air Group Paint out, rooftop of KC Library
• September 20 – October 6: Parkville in Art Plein Air Event. Paint out
October 10 – 31: Exhibition (Cathy Kline Art Gallery, 173 English Landing Drive, Parkville, MO),
November 21: Auction ( Auction at KCAI, 1801 NW Platte Rd., Ste 275, Riverside, MO)
• October 11 – January 10th: Solo show @ Primary Colors Gallery, Independence, MO
• November 2 – November 27: MidAmerica Pastel Society Small Paintings Show
• July – Sept 2014: Solo show at the ESO Gallery, Omaha, NE