• Master of Fine Arts in Illustration
• Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art (Drawing & Painting emphasis)
University of Nebraska
• Full-time painter
Kansas City, MO
• Professor of Art
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg, MO (NASAD accredited)
Taught illustration, figure construction, painting courses, and graphic design.
International University Teaching Experience:
• 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995: Paris, France (co-led a group of students). Taught plein air painting and art history.
• 2004, 2000: Maastricht, Netherlands. Taught art history in 2004 and plein air painting in 2000 at the Teikyo Holland campus. Traveled to Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands
• 1994, 1993: London, England (co-led a group of students). Taught British Graphic Design.
• Instructor of Art
Maple Woods Community College
Kansas City, MO
Professional Workshop Teaching:
• May 2010: Taught a Pastel workshop, Paris/Giverny/Provence, France
• Apr. 2013: Acrylic workshop, Images Art Gallery, Kansas City, MO
• Oct. 2004: Pastel workshop for MidMissouri Artists Association
• Oct. 2003: Pastel workshop for Sedalia Visual Arts Association
Other Work Experience:
• Painter/Illustrator/Graphic Designer
• Jul. 2010: Burridge Studio Award, International Society of Acrylic Painters, Santa Cruz Art League, Santa Cruz, CA. Juried Show. Juror: Gerald Brommer
• Aug. 1992: One Merit Award, Society of Illustrators of Los Angeles Show
• Sept. 1990: Four Merit Awards, Society of Illustrators of Los Angeles Show
• Jul. 1987: Certificate of Merit, Communication Arts Illustration Annual, Palo Alto, CA. 3 –5% acceptance rate
• Mar. 2005: Award of Merit, Heartland National Juried Exhibition, Merriam, KS
• Mar. 2003: Award of Merit, Heartland National Juried Exhibition, Merriam, KS
• Mar. 1999: Award of Merit, Heartland Artist Exhibition 1999, Merriam, KS. Juror: Roger Shimomura
• Mar. 1998: Best of Show, Heartland Pastel Exhibition ‘98, Merriam, Kansas. Juror: Dean Mitchell
• Mar. 1997: Honorable Mention, National Art Education Association Electronic Gallery Juried Competition, New Orleans, LA
• Nov. 1993: Grumbacher Gold Medal Award, Pastel Society of the Southwest Competition, Dallas, TX
• May 1992: Outstanding Cover Art Award, National Association of Women’s Yellow Pages, Mobile, AL
• Jun. 2013: Second Place, STEMS Plein Air Event, Overland Park, KS
• Sept. 2012: Third Place, MVIS (Missouri Valley Impressionists Society) Juried Show, Kansas City Club, Kansas City, MO. Juror: Michael Albrechtson
• Jul. 2012: Honorable Mention, Brush Creek Art Walk Plein Air Competition, Kansas City, MO
• June 2012: Top Award. Symphony in the Flint Hills, KS
• Mar. 1997: Award of Excellence, Women in the Arts Exhibit, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
• Jan. 1996: Purchase Award, Central States Exhibition ‘96, Pratt Community College, Pratt, KS
• Mar. 1995: Honorable Mention for collaborative piece by Neva Wood and myself, Women in the Arts Regional Competition, Columbia, MO
• May 1990: Two Merit Awards, Kansas City Art Directors Exhibition, Kansas City, MO
• May 1989: Bronze Award, Kansas City Art Directors Exhibition, Kansas City, MO, national clients
• May 1988: Certificate of Merit, Kansas City Art Directors Exhibition, Kansas City, MO
Plein Air Events:
• June 2013: National Museum of Wildlife Art Plein Air Event 2013, Jackson, Wyoming. One painting auctioned and sold to Arthur Tolley
• June 2013: STEMS Plein Air Event, Overland Park, KS. Second Place for Giverny in Kansas. Overland Park Florist also accepted.
• July 2012: Brush Creek Art Walk Plein Air Competition, Kansas City, MO. Honorable Mention for Brush Creek Sanctuary (SOLD). Brush Creek Industrial View also accepted.
• Dec. 2001 – December 2002: “Artists Along the Katy Trail” plein air painting competition. One piece accepted: St. Charles Katy Path. 745 entrants, 74 works selected for traveling exhibition (9.8% acceptance rate).
• Nov. 2000: “Painting Along the Katy Trail” plein air painting competition. Two pieces accepted: Jeff City Fields and Rocheport River View. 545 entrants, 65 works selected, for traveling exhibition (12% acceptance rate).
Accepted into 8 International Juried Competitions, 28 National Juried Competitions, 36 Regional Juried Competitions . Had 17 Solo Exhibitions and 18 Group Exhibitions
• 2010: Signature member of the International Society of Acrylic Painters
• 2006: Inducted as a Signature Member into the MidAmerica Pastel Society
• Sept. 2005: The Artists Enclave at I-Park, East Haddam, CT.